AVDA Employment Opportunities
JOB TITLE: Victim Advocate
DEPARTMENT: Program Services – Emergency Shelter
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time, nonexempt, hourly, “at-will”
REPORTS TO: Residential Services Manager
The Victim Advocate provides direct services to victims of domestic violence in residence and provides crisis intervention to callers on AVDA’s 24-Hour Hotline.
Work Schedule: Saturday and Sunday, 3:00pm-11:00pm
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Read and abide by the rules, policies and standards set forth in the Employee Personnel Policy Manual.
- Provide direct services to victims of domestic violence in accordance with program guidelines and agency policies.
- Provide crisis intervention, safety planning, supportive counseling, advocacy, and referrals.
- Maintain health and safety of residential campus; direct and coach staff and participants in creating a positive, respectful communal living environment.
- Assist with VOCA compensation and relocation applications.
- Distribute welcome kits, emergency supplies, and participant assistance as needed.
- Oversee volunteers and interns working directly with participants.
- Able to work in different environments and utilize effective time management skills.
- Maintain accurate program records, inventory control and grant required statistics.
- Promote an organizational culture that embraces workplace values of respect, caring, support, effective communication, teamwork, collaboration, accountability and responsibility; and work with staff to create and maintain a workplace environment reflective of those values.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, sociology or related field or a minimum of two years relevant experience in victim advocacy.
- FCADV Core Competency Training and privilege status obtained within first 90 days.
- Meet required training hours annually to maintain privilege status.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; exceptional customer service skills.
- Reliable transportation, and if that is a personal vehicle, a valid driver’s license and clean driving record for insurability.
- Basic use of MS Excel, Word, Outlook and client database software.
- Fluent in reading, writing, speaking English. Secondary language is a plus.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to exert physical effort which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (up to 20 pounds), bending, stooping, stretching, squatting, sitting, including movement up and down stairs.
- Minimal travel required in the Palm Beach County area.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate the position days/hrs you are applying for in your cover letter. Please advise Human Resources at this email address in advance if you require accommodations to participate in the employment process. EOE/DFWP/E-VERIFY